Skip to main content

What does it take to run a successful online Catering Business? Ask Leche




What does it take to run a successful catering business? Especially when you are starting or running online.  With several possible reasons why the business may fail, it is important to identify what makes for success and stick to it. 

In this interview with Attain,  Leche Winniefred Maagawa, CEO of SAS Kitchen shares how she started her online catering business, challenges she has faced and how she handled them. 

Enjoy this yummy interview story and don't forget to share with friends.

 Be Inspired

1. Please kindly tell us about yourself?

My name is Leche Winniefred Maagawa. I am a French graduate of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria and currently serving in Bauchi State. I am an exceptional cook, the CEO of SAS Kitchen, the founder of SASK Initiative, and a public speaker who is a great storyteller and writer as well. I love to read books, attend conferences, travel, and make impact.
2.   Tell us about your business Brand?

SAS Kitchen is an online catering business that offers the following services:

*Home delivery
* Office delivery (lunch)
* Online culinary classes
* Products like liquid soap, flavored pap, etc





3.  When and what brought about your business vision?

I started my catering business when I was an undergraduate in 2016. To be honest, I never had the vision of starting a catering business. I just enjoyed cooking and inviting people over to eat for free. I didn't think that I could turn it into a money making venture until a friend of mine gave me the idea.

4.  What were the main challenges you faced when you started your business and how did you overcome them?

I faced 3 major challenges at the beginning:

a) Trying to convince people that I was a good cook. Those who had never tasted my food almost didn't believe that I can cook because according to them, I was young and didn't look like someone who can cook. Maybe I was supposed to use palm oil as lipstick to show that I can cook... Hehehe (That is on a lighter note).
I had to give them an almost free food to taste and I'm glad that I won them over.

b) Another challenge for me was pricing. I barely made any profit in the first year because I was cooking with little or no profit to show for it. I couldn't fix a price tag. I was scared that people wouldn't pay for my service if it was 'expensive.'
I overcame it by telling myself that I wasn't running a charity organization so, I fixed a price tag with reasonable profit. My services were affordable, not expensive.

c) I also had some male customers who wanted something more than the food. It was a challenge because I had to choose between keeping them as customers if I agreed to their proposal or losing them.
I eventually chose the latter. I did not want to mix business with pleasure.
5. What was the biggest challenge you ever faced in your entrepreneurial journey?

The biggest challenge I've faced is coming to the realization that entrepreneurship is not easy. I've had moments where there were no sales at all but I didn't give up. Times when I tried so hard to scale up my business but it looked like I was tiling a rock.

6.  At what point did you begin to achieve success in your entrepreneurial journey and how did it happen?

I began to achieve success in business when I started hosting free online culinary classes. I was giving out so much value for free every month for a year and all I asked from the participants was for them to write a testimonial on their social media platforms about their experiences in the class. This was the beginning of my success in my entrepreneurial journey.




7.  What would you consider your greatest achievement ever in your entrepreneurial journey?

My greatest achievement amongst others is that I have grown and my growth has positively affected so many lives around me.



8. Who has inspired you the most in your Entrepreneurial Journey?

My biggest Inspiration are my parents. They show me that giving up is not an option and that there is room for more.

9.   If you could go back in time, what are the changes you would have made in your business/ entrepreneurial journey?

I wouldn't have made any changes. My mistakes made me stronger and what I saw as setbacks actually pushed me forward.

10. What should we see you doing in the Future?

In the nearest future, I hope to set up a structure (not necessarily physical) that will not just be a profit making venture for me but also be an avenue for millions of lives worldwide to be impacted.

11.   What's your advice to someone just starting out in business/entrepreneurship?

Entrepreneurship is not easy but keep going. Rome was not built in a day. It is not the many efforts you put once in a while in your business that makes it succeed. It is the little, consistent efforts that counts. Don't give up!

12.  What are your views on love/relationship and marriage?

Love is beautiful and marriage is a primary purpose, if you ask me.




13.          What are your other interests aside business?
                                                                                                                                                
I have a great interest in charity. I love to extend a helping hand to those who I'm privileged to help that is why I founded SASK Initiative. I also love to volunteer/serve.




Connect with Leche:
FB: Winnie Bologisoko Leche
WhatsApp: 08083343585
Instagram: @your.favorite.chef

We believe you have been inspired, kindly share this story to inspire more people. You can even recommend those you want to be interviewed here and promote your work and events for free on Attain.

And just before you go, have you checked out our other inspiring and educative posts?. Also, subscribing to our blog will be one step you are taking in the direction of success today.


See You Attain
Connect with Attain: Facebook | Twitter  Instagram 

Comments